This past year in our homeschool co-op, Hannah participated in a class called Mini-Society. It's a program for late elementary and junior high students on developing a society -government, currency, laws etc. The class is divided into groups of 2 students who then are responsible for developing a store with a theme, products, marketing, pricing etc. The overall theme for this year was Recyling materials. Hannah had a great time. They had to decide on products, make them, market them, price them and then sell them at market at our co-op. At the end of May, there is a big Market Day at James Madison University, with other local school groups consisting of about 500 students . They have several awards that they give out, for theme, ideas, how your group ran etc.
Hannah and her partner, chose a retro 70's theme along with the recycling. I know, its hard to believe that the 70's are considered retro, our childhood wasn't that long ago!
They made pretty flowers out of coffe filters, water color paints and pipe cleaners and then put them in small glass coke bottles that we got from a local store, before they recycled them. They also made some bath salts for the coke bottles.
Headbands out of scrap fabric
These were my favorite~ bowls out of old records. They softened them in a warm oven over a pyrex glass bowl and then shaped them. Very cute.
Lip gloss with retro flowers, and in those small condiment dishes from a local restaurant, not previously used though : )
They also made cute handbags out of old jeans. These were a huge hit and I didn't even get a picture before they were sold out.
I'm so proud of Hannah, she worked really hard on her projects and had so much fun. She also won two awards~ First Place in the essay contest for the junior high students and she and her partner won for their green marketing~ use of recyled materials for their products. She won Barnes and Noble gift cards which she was thrilled about.
An article in the local paper that highlights some fellow co-opers. http://www.vcee.org/misc/userfiles/file/Marketplace.pdf
1 comment:
Hi, Catherine!
I've been thinking about you and just thought I'd hop over to your blog and say hi. I hope you all have had a wonderful summer!
Take good care!
~ Davene
Post a Comment